Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Posted by Daniel Lavin, RPCV, on 9 June 2009 at 17h21
I’ve been traveling and working in Sierra Leone since 1988. My original experiences in places like Freetown, Makeni and Bo were to see ex-pats and NGO workers and a few wealthy Sierra Leoneans enjoying restaurants and services, with the bulk of the citizens only observing. In the last few years, something amazing has happend. I went into a restaurant in Freetown, walking in to the room to see every table taken by local people. This wasn’t a special occassion. They were simply having lunch and were heading back to work. They were dressed professionally, and very comfortable in this new world. With my eyes open, I started noticing the changes around me. Expectations and reality have changed in Sierra Leone.
See the work we are doing at http://cipsierraleone.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment